S. boulardii and powerful ingredients
With a strong know-how in formulation Lallemand can elaborate a custom INSIDE offer. The INSIDE offer enhances synergic effect by combining the yeast probiotic S. boulardii at the heart of the product with other prevailing ingredients such as bacteria or prebiotics.
Probiotic yeast S. boulardii with bacteria for dual action
Leader in probiotic bacteria and S. boulardii yeast culture, Lallemand can combine the two microorganisms in a single probiotic bringing complementary modes of action, thus creating a synergy for additional benefits.
1. Protecflor® combination (S. boulardii CNCM I-1079, L. helveticus Rosell®–52, L. rhamnosus Rosell®–11, B. longum Rosell®–175)
[Bisson, 2009] – Traveler’s diarrhea induced by E. coli ETEC in vivo model
- Significantly greater effect with Protecflor® vs. control, S. boulardii alone and bacteria mix: body weight loss (p=0.02), body temperature (p<0.02) and modulation of inflammatory cytokines response (p<0.03).
- No diarrhea observed in the Protecflor® in in vivo model.
[Grgov, 2011] – RCT Helicobacter pylori infection (for other marketing use than food/dietary supplement)
- Protecflor® significantly increased H. pylori eradication rate after 8 weeks vs. control (93.3% vs, 81.8%, p<0.05).
- Protecflor® decreased the incidence of adverse effects vs. control (17.7% vs. 28.6%).
2. S. boulardii CNCM I-1079 and three Rosell® bacteria strains (Same bacteria strains as Protecflor® but different concentration and strain ratio)
[Grandy, 2010] – RCT rotavirus-induced diarrhea on infants (for other marketing use than food/dietary supplement)
- S. boulardii in combination with probiotic bacteria significantly decreased the duration of vomiting vs. control (0 vs. 42.5 hours, p=0.041).
- S. boulardii in combination with probiotic bacteria decreased the duration of diarrhea vs. control (60 vs. 84.5 hours, p=0.06).
[Teran, 2009] – RCT rotavirus-induced diarrhea on infants (for other marketing use than food/dietary supplement)
- S. boulardii in combination with probiotic bacteria significantly decreased the duration of hospitalization vs. control (72 vs. 108 hours, p=0.017).
- S. boulardii in combination with probiotic bacteria significantly decreased the duration of diarrhea vs. control (48 vs. 79 hours, p=0.009).
3. S. boulardii CNCM I-1079 and L. rhamnosus GG combination
[Moens, 2019] – E. coli ETEC infection in vitro model
- Significantly greater decrease of E. coli toxin concentration with S. boulardii in combination with probiotic bacteria vs. control.
- Significantly geater decrease of E. coli concentration with S. boulardii in combination with probiotic bacteria vs. control.
Combination with other powerful ingredients
Lallemand continues its research to find new ingredients to combine with its probiotic products to confer a synergetic effect. Therefore, Lallemand can provide combination of S. boulardii with prebiotics including inulin and FOS, or with minerals and vitamins. Lallemand also works on the development of product containing the live microorganism yeast S. boulardii combined with derivatives yeast cell extract to provide yeast-based products.